Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Deer Crib Quilt Made With Paper Pattern

Today I finished this amazing deer themed crib sized quilt for one of Katie's friends.  I'm totally in love with this quilt and it was so hard to let go of it today.  It turned out perfect....the color choices....the fabric choices.....the applique......the stippling....the binding!  All of it....perfect!

I purchased my fabrics online from www.hawthornethreads.com and www.etsy.com.  They always have such great selection and never let me down.
Here's the front of the quilt.......

I used my wide format printer to make a large paper pattern for the deer head..

I cut it out of paper, traced it on to a light weight Wonder Under adhesive, then transferred it to orange fabric...

I then used a zig zag stitch to secure it to the back piece of the quilt....

After I had the back finished, I sandwiched the back, the batting and the quilt top together with many, many safety pins.....

 
I then did free motion quilting (stippling) using a large swirl.

I made my own binding with the left over orange scraps.....

I stitched the binding to the front, flipped the quilt over and stitched again.

Some more pictures of the quilt.....

 
After the quilt is completed, I always run it through a wash/dry cycle twice.  (I never pre-wash my fabrics.) This shrinks the quilt and brings out all the fabulous puckering from the free motion quilting.....

I am selling these large paper patterns in three sizes.  You can click here to get to my Etsy store and order a pattern so you can make your own deer quilt.  Or go to Etsy and search for RileyRaniDesigns.
Scroll down to see who I have linked to this week.

6 comments:

  1. Well I can see why it was hard to let it go. This is something my brother and both my kids would absolutely love. Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little blanket! I love the deer. BTW, I am a Bichon lover, too! I have a little guy named Po.
    I'm visiting you today from Teriffic Tuesdays. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt!! I love the deer!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! what a beautiful quilt! Our sister creates the most wonderful quilts too and so we know how much time goes into them. Love the choice of colors and patterns too.

    Just wanted to thank you personally for linking up this awesome post to the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Tuesday Link and Hop. It was just perfect!

    Hope to see you again see, perhaps next week! BeBetsy Link and Hop

    The best to you and keep making those incredible quilts!
    Sharon and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to let you know that You Were Featured on VMG206 ~ Brag About It Tuesday's Linky Party from last week! I have pinned your project to my Brag About It Features Pinterest Board here. I can't wait to see what you've been working on this week!
    I have pinned your project to my Brag About It Features Pinterest Board. I can't wait to see what you've been working on this week!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete